The Central Reserve Police Force came into existence as Crown Representative’s Police on 27th July 1939. It became the Central Reserve Police Force on enactment of the CRPF act on 28th December 1949. It has completed 66 years of glorious history. The Force has grown into a big organization with 207 Bn, (including 181executive Bns, 2 Mahila Bns, 10 RAF Bns, 6 COBRA Bns, 2 DM (NDRF) Bns, 5 Signal Bns and 1 Special Duty Group), 37 Group Centres, 11 Training Institutions, 2 CWS, 7 AWS, 3 SWS, 4 Composite Hospitals of 100 beds and 17 Composite Hospitals of 50 beds.
CRPF as a force has initiated several welfare activities for the betterment of society and the country. Establishment of schools (including CRPF Public School, Rohini) establishment of several ITIs, family welfare centres etc are some examples of welfare measures taken by it. They launched a programme called “Nanhi Chanv” to raise awareness against female foeticide and promote the cause of the girl child, and tree plantation.
Under the Education Fund, concession and grants are given to the children of the CRPF personnel. The CRPF is the first paramilitary force to have set up a public school in Rohini (Delhi) with hostel facilities for the wards of CRPF Personnel. The CRPF group centers have Montessori and Central Schools to take care of the educational needs of the wards of CRPF men. Through the Educational Fund, about 9000 scholarships are given to CRPF children. Another school has been set up in Dwarka (Delhi).